Lunar Eclipse

     On April 4th, 2015 some of my family and I were able to witness a lunar eclipse. Also called a blood moon (as talked about in the Bible), this eclipse occurs when the Moon passes directly behind the Earth into its shadow. This can occur only when the Sun, Earth, and Moon are aligned exactly, or very closely so, with the Earth in the middle (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lunar_eclipse). Here in Minnesota, we were only able to see a partial eclipse because of the rising sun, but in September we will be able to witness a total red moon, the last lunar eclipse of the tetrad (four blood moons). You might already be aware of this, but did you know that "lunar" is Latin for "moon"? I love finding Latin words in our English language :)!

   Here's a time-lapsed photo of the eclipse (at least my first attempt...). Each picture was taken individually, but then I used picmonkey.com (an awesome, free photo editor!) to turn it into one. 



    After playing around with my camera settings, I was able to get some pretty awesome pictures at different phases in the eclipse! I was so happy with how they turned out. Such detail that points to an amazing Creator! I plan to enter this one in our county fair this summer.


Comments

  1. This is really cool! I am personally a huge astronomy geek. I find the stars (and moon!) to be so fascinating!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, me too! Astronomy was one of my favorite subjects in science when I took it. I was absolutely enthralled by what I learned that year. I can sum up my fascination with this, "The heavens declare the glory of God;
      And the firmament shows His handiwork." (Psalm 19:1)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

New Beginnings

Beginning…

A Farewell